It is rare that I don’t try a new recipe on the weekend. It is so relaxing and fun and I look forward to it all week long. I pin recipes to my Vegan Food Inspiration board through the week and then pick one or two (or three) to try on weekends.
There are only a few foods that I don’t like (banana nut bread and eggplant, namely) so I find a lot of “keepers”. But, once in a blue moon, I find a “keeper-keeper”. This is one of them.
- 1/2 pound beets (about 4 medium sized beets), cooked (roast with olive oil and water in oven for about 90 minutes; peel when cooled)
- 2 Tbsp tahini sesame seed paste
- 5 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Generous pinch of sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Eat with pita chips, baked tortillas, or sliced vegetables. Or… makes an excellent sandwich spread!
(adapted from SimplyRecipes.com)
I amped up the garlic and left out lemon zest that the original recipe called for. If you don’t like as much garlic, dial it down to one clove.
Be warned: The color is GORGEOUS!!!