Awesome Goodwill haul yesterday… Sweet apothecary cabinet that I’m going to paint and store my essential oils in, Ben Seibel teacup, FANTASTIC pagoda-style double boiler, HUGE bag of wooden beads for a top secret project. Score!
(Click photo to see more fantastic thrift finds!)
It’s darn near 5:00 here and I’m ready for the weekend. It will be a leisurely weekend as I have no solid plans. Mmmm… yummy.
However, I would like my weekend to include some or all of the following:
- Visiting the old thrift stores too, of course
- Cleaning, especially the kitchen
- Slush Mary (This involves frozen tomatoes… Mmmm…)
- Listing some things in my Etsy store
What will you get up to this weekend? Happy Friday!
I’m shocked to realize that I’ve not posted here on my blog since OCTOBER! Wow. Scandal. Do I have a good excuse? No, not really. My only excuse / reasoning is the same as it normally is when I lapse in writing this long (or longer): I’ve got a lot going on and simply haven’t been inclined to blog.
Pretty plain and simple.
But, I have had a lot going on.
I was in a play. I started a new job. I’ve traveled for work. I have vamped up my Etsy store (and surpassed 550 sales!)… and the list goes on.
And now here it is December – almost Christmas! – and I’m just now making time to write again. And, as I sit here trying to churn out a post, I realize that, even with all the things I’ve been doing, I don’t rightly know what to blog about.
I will say that I’ve been very “into” Facebook lately. Yes, yes, I know. I shunned it for so long, saying that I didn’t want to get into it, didn’t want another thing to log-into each day, etc. etc. But, I’m weak and easily persuaded (apparently) and fell into the throngs of people who Facebook daily. I wonder at the pros and cons of it. While it seems like such a wonderful, fun, easy way to meet people and interact, it isn’t really – REALLY – interaction, is it? You go about “friending” people you kind-of-sort-of-or-maybe-have-seen-in-the-cafe-once and then feel like a schmuck when they accept but look at you weird the next time they see you out and about. And then you realize that you have the exact same number of friends that you had before you had so many “friends”.
Or maybe that is just me.
I guess, to tell the truth, I’ve learned a lot lately about friends and real friends and even the type people who are capable of being friends. I realize (have been forced to realize) that some people simply don’t have what it takes to be a friend and yet, most of those same people expect everyone to be their friend and go to the ends of the earth for them. I know that you must BE a friend to HAVE a friend but that goes for both parties; there is no friendship without reciprocation.
In other news…? Actually, there is very little other news.
My Christmas shopping is done, for the most part. I have now only to wrap and make them all pretty, and ship the ones that need shipping.
I had the worst migraine I’ve ever had in my entire life over the weekend. It came complete with light flashes, throwing up, nosebleed, not being able to see out of my left eye, etc. I thought I was going to die. Thankfully, I did not and now feel better. However, my neck has been hurting pretty profoundly for the past several weeks – months maybe – and I can’t seem to figure out how to relieve it. It is all very vexing, really.
So, this, I fear, is all I have to tell. Hopefully my next post – whenever it might come – will bring more news of some sort!
Until then, dear readers…
Browse the awesome vintage photos I have for sale in my Etsy shop: recy.etsy.com
::: Also, I’m in the process of including a 100% upcycled cashmere line to my Etsy store. I have a fabby black 100% cashmere cowl listed now… for only $25! Not to be missed! Check it out! More, including 100% cashmere legwarmers, to be listed soon! :::
In all the swaps I’ve hosted, I’ve NEVER had a cool logo button for one… until NOW! The super-talented and super-sweet Monica took it upon herself to create one for us. I, for one, think that is uber-cool!
As I was telling Monica, I am technologically illiterate so I don’t know how to make this neat button “link” back to the post. However, if you know how to do it and want to link it back to the original post, please feel free to do that.
Here is the button (THANK YOU, MONICA!!!)
[If you are interested in participating, please leave a comment on the original post as that is where I will be taking sign-ups from. Thank you!]
I would be remiss if I didn’t take this opportunity to announce that I’m running a sale at my Etsy store. I’ve just put a TON of things from my store into my SALE section… Craft supplies, destash stuff, vintage fabric, vintage linens, vintage jewelry, books, something for EVERYONE!
Also, I’m running BOGO in my $6 Vintage Jewelry Section! Buy one $6 piece and get the second for half-price! That’s $9 (pre-shipping) for two pieces of great vintage jewelry!
This will run through the weekend at least… Don’t miss out!
I’m feeling rather sparky today so I thought I would do a couple of fun things here on my blog.
Firstly, the lovely Miss StilettoHeights has inspired me to write up a list of things that provide inspiration to me lately. What a fun exercise, no?
What inspires you lately? For me, it includes…
- Vintage shoes – I have found so many wonderful ones lately! I get the extra-fab ones to list in my store as I love to have a good vintage shoe selection there. So many fabulous and unique vintage shoes out there… great quality too.
- Colored tights / leggings – Crazy, yes, but they go with so many things and really give an added flair! Besides, they fashionably cover my stark white legs.
- Lame – A fabulous gold lame tank literally jumped off the rack at me the other day and I’ve been smitten since. Everyone needs to sparkle.
- Belts, belts, BELTS! Need I say more?
- My new store banner… so pretty and so wonderfully done! Thanks, PixelCafe!
- Vintage artwork, especially crewel-work.
- Homemade iced coffee.
- Ruffles and Scarlett O’Hara.
- Sex and the City re-runs… until I get finally get out to see the new movie!
- Russian architecture
- Anything at all to do with Paris… specifically living there someday.
- Tomatoes… fresh with a bit of pepper. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm…
- Vintage bedding… LOTS of it!
- A gorgeous white gauze babydoll top that I bought when I was sixteen. I found it again the other day and have been wearing it with skinnies and my flats. Scavenging in my own closet is very fun!
- Yard sales… ’tis the season. It makes Saturday mornings SUCH fun! I look forward to them all week!
Speaking of yard sales…
How about a swap? As all of you know and can tell from my list above, I’m terribly inspired by things that I find at thrift stores and yard sales. I love things that others cast-off that I can make good use of. It is the ultimate recycling and such fun too!
I also know that many of my readers here are thrift store / yard sale mavens, also loving the hunt for what they can re-use and give another life to.
So, since it is the prime thrifting / yard sale season… how about a “Thrift Shop Thrift Swap“? Here is how I propose for it to work:
- Leave a comment on this post that you want to participate. Right after you leave your comment, please contact me at email@example.com with your contact information, i.e. name, address, blog and email address. Sign-up will close on June 15.
- On June 16, I will pair those who have signed up with a partner and send each of you their information. In order to get to know new people better – as that, I believe, is part of the fun of a swap – this will be a one-on-one swap.
- After being in touch with your swap partner, compile a package of things you think they would like. Here is the catch… ALL items that you send MUST be from a thrift store / garage sale / yard sale / porch sale / estate sale / tag sale / etc… you get the idea. Of course, make sure they are nice items and not junk but I think we all know how to do this… how to find the treasures out there! Bonus points if your packaging comes from thrifting too. (Not that there will be a winner or anything but.. that would be cool, huh?) Spend between $10 – 15 on your package, not including shipping.
- Send your packages out by July 1. If you can’t make it by then, let me AND your partner know of the delay.
(International participants welcome. Please be willing to ship Internationally if you decide to participate. If you leave comment on this post, I will assume that you wish to participate. Please realize when signing up that sometimes there are bum swappers. I can’t control this.)
Tell your friends!
Any questions? Feel free to contact me!
::::::::::::::::::::::: Happy scavenging! ::::::::::::::::::::::